Saul Junction Boat Owners Club takes its title from the former canal ‘crossroads’ of the Stroudwater Navigation and Gloucester – Sharpness Canal.
‘The Junction’ is at the midway point of the 16-mile Gloucester – Sharpness Canal and provides an idyllic rural mooring on the Stroudwater Navigation.
The moorings are just 1½ miles from Junction 13 of the M5 Motorway, close to the village of Frampton on Severn.
The Club was formed in 1976 with the objectives: — ‘To lease from British Waterways, administer, manage, promote, operate and maintain, a line of non-residential moorings on The Stroudwater Navigation for the benefit of Club Members, their relatives and friends’. In 1988 the Club was incorporated into a Limited Company which maintains its association with Canal & River Trust, formerly British Waterways.
Saul Junction Boat Owners Club Ltd. lease moorings from CRT along the waterside edge of the Stroudwater Navigation between the Bridge-keepers Office and Walk Bridge. The linear boundaries of the leased area are indicated by the steel piling and the mooring posts. The towpath is a Public Right of Way maintained by the Canal & River Trust.
Moorings – Junction end
SJBOC craft are moored to white steel posts topped with roping rings.
There are three water taps spaced along the leased length.
Moorings – Eastern end
Saul Marina lies opposite our moorings. Waterborne access to & from the marina is assisted by a short ‘no mooring’ stretch between the SJBOC boats.
This also creates a ‘winding hole’ for SJBOC vessels.
Walk Bridge – Terminus of the SJBOC Moorings
When The Stroudwater Navigation was opened in 1779 the bridge was a regular arched structure taking a lane through a local estate.
The steep approaches led to difficulties for horse-drawn loads. Consequently the structure was rebuilt in 1855 as an iron & timber swing-bridge.
Following the closure of the canal in 1945 the swing-bridge deteriorated and eventually became unsafe. Safety was re-established with the construction of the current level, fixed iron & concrete structure with a 7.5-tonne weight limit.
Plans and restoration funding now exist for a new arched bridge to be built in the foreseeable future.
‘The future is born of the past’…
James Smart of Chalford
Local historian & author Hugh Conway-Jones recently published this book.
The book describes the massive part the Stroudwater Navigation played in the transportation of heavy goods back in the 18th & 19th centuries.
There are numerous references to Saul Junction.
Click to purchase online from Cotswold Canals Trust